Abstract

A complete crystal-chemical characterization of erionite-K from Rome, Oregon, was obtained by combining field emission scanning electron microscopy, laboratory parallel-beam transmission powder diffraction, and 57Fe Mössbauer spectroscopy. Rietveld refinement results evidenced that the most striking difference in comparison with the structure of erionite-Ca is significant K at a K2 site(½, 0, 0), which is empty in erionite-Ca. In addition, site Ca1 shows low occupancy and Ca3 is vacant. The oxidation and coordination state of Fe, whose occurrence was revealed by chemical analysis, have been clarified by exploiting room- and low-temperature 57Fe Mössbauer spectroscopy. The majority of Fe (95%) was attributed to Fe3+-bearing, superparamagnetic, oxide-like nanoparticles with dimensions between 1 and 9 nm, and the remaining 5% was attributed to hematite particles with size ≥10 nm, both located on the crystal surface.

You do not currently have access to this article.