The Geological Society of London is the UK national society for geoscience, providing support to over 12,000 members in the UK and overseas. Its aims are to improve knowledge and understanding of the Earth, to promote Earth science education and awareness, and to promote professional excellence and ethical standards in the work of Earth scientists, for the public good. Founded in 1807, it is the oldest geological society in the world.
The Society founded its Publishing House in Bath, UK in 1988. It is now a major international Earth science publisher and is dedicated to providing a high-quality service to Earth scientists throughout the world. The Society publishes a diverse range of books and journals, with over 10,000 pages of new peer-reviewed geoscience literature being made available every year.
The Society's Strategy
Our purpose:The Geological Society supports the work of geoscientists, inspires interest in the physical world, and connects science, profession and society.
- All that we do is underpinned by scientific excellence, professional and ethical integrity, and quality of service.
- We strive to be impartial, authoritative, trustworthy and transparent.
- We promote diversity, equality, inclusion and respect for others across the geoscience community.
- We promote social and environmental sustainability, responsibility and stewardship.
- We seek opportunities to work collaboratively, and aim to be recognized as a valued partner.