In the vicinity of Kingston, Ontario, and in the neighboring state of New York, flat-lying basal Paleozoic (Potsdam) sandstones contain large cylindrical structures which were described as long ago as 1889. They are composed of sandstone with siliceous and ferruginous cement, and, because of their vertical attitude and concentric banded structure, have been known locally as “trees” or “tree trunks” (PL 123).
Various suggestions have been offered to account for their formation. These seem to be based on brief field studies and examinations of the sections. None of the modern methods of sedimentary analyses—mechanical, mineral, and chemical—has hitherto been employed, and in the hope that such methods might yield new light on the problem, a detailed study was made of the several structures situated at Blake's (formerly Gilder-sleeve's) quarry, concession V, lot 9, Pittsburgh township, ten miles northeast of Kingston.