The area described in this paper lies between the towns of Dalhousie and Campbellton, on the south shore of the Restigouche River, and in the extreme northern portion of the Province of New Brunswick, Canada. The attention of geologists has been called to this region for some years because of the presence of a rich Helderbergian fauna in a sedimentary series, interbedded with a number of lava flows and intrusive sheets, about one mile east of Dalhousie. Since previous descriptions of this locality did not seem to afford a satisfactory explanation of the nature of the igneous rocks, the writer spent the summer of 1923, under the auspices of the Honorary Advisory Council, for Scientific and Industrial Research, in an endeavor to explain their occurrence.
With the exception of a brief paper in the Transactions of the Nova Scotia Institute of Natural History by the Rev. Dr. . . .