A recent examination of the Hudson-Schroon valleys of the southeastern Adirondack region has furnished evidence that a remarkable, long, narrow glacial lake, with branching arms, lay in those valleys during the waning of the last great ice-sheet in northern New York. Before the former existence of this extensive body of water was known, more or less evidence for the former existence of certain local portions of the lake was presented in a numbr of publications. Ogilvie in 19021 and again in 19052 and Kemp in 1910,3 briefly referred to lake terraces in the valley of the Schroon River, in the Paradox Lake and Elizabethtown quadrangles respectively. Next was a brief description of Glacial Lake Warrensburg by the writer in 1911,4 the lake phenomena being wonderfully exhibited in the vicinity of Warrensburg. In 19145 the writer again described this lake.
Another body of water, then thought to have been independent . . .