In the spring of 1910 the writer accompanied a party of mining engineers to the Pis-Pis mining district of Nicaragua. Landing at Cape Gracias á Dios, we ascended the Wanks, Waspuc, and Pis-Pis rivers, an estimated distance of 225 miles to the mines. Fifteen days were spent in the district, and then two of us descended the Tunkey, Banbana, and Prinzapulca rivers an estimated distance of 195 miles, to the mouth of the latter. Several days were also spent at Blueflelds. Although the trip was too rapid to permit of detailed geological work except in the vicinity of a few mines, a series of observations were made that seem worthy of record.
Thomas Belt, who went to Nicaragua in 1868 to superintend the mining operations of the Chontales Gold Mining Company, describes2 the rocks in the silver-mining district of Depilto in Segovia as consisting of quartz and gneissoid beds . . .