The first serious attempt to work out the geology of the Eastport region of Maine was made in the summer of 1884 by Prof. N. S. Shaler, then connected with the U. S. Geological Survey. The results of his explorations were published in a paper entitled “Preliminary Report on the Geology of the Cobscook Bay District, Maine.” 2 At that time there was no detailed map of the region; the Coast Survey map did not appear until the year 1893. Shaler prepared a small map, giving the outline of the shores, bays, and inlets. In his paper the general northeasterly dip of the sedimentary beds was shown and the general succession of the fossiliferous beds along a line from the southwest to northeast across the area was established. A large amount of material, mostly in large pieces, was gathered; the fossils in most cases are casts of the interior . . .