The first volume of the Bulletin of the Geological Society of America opens with a historical sketch prepared by Alexander Winchell at the request of the Council. Reference was made first to the Association of American Geologists organized in 1840, and to its inclusion of the Naturalists, and to its development into the American Association for the Advancement of Science in 1847. With the multiplication of sections at the last reorganization Geology and Geography were combined with Section E. Many of the members were dissatisfied with this arrangement. These dissentients and others assembled at Cincinnati in 1881 and formulated their views in the following “circular letter,” which was mailed to all the known geologists in the country:
“To the Geologists of America:
“At a meeting of the geologists in attendance at the Cincinnati session (1881) of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, the undersigned were appointed a committee . . .