In 1846, while sinking a shaft to reach a bed of limonite near Brandon, Vermont, the workmen came upon a deposit of brown coal or lignite, which at the time attracted only local attention. Five years later, in 1851, some of the lignite and fossils found in it were sent to President Edward Hitchcock at Amherst. As a result of this, President Hitchcock soon visited the locality and wrote a description of it, which was published in the American Journal of Science and Arts,* 23 figures of the fossils being given, but none of them were described or named. Not long after the above publication, Doctor Hitchcock sent some of the fossils to Mr Lesquereux, who published descriptions and names of the specimens in the Journal.* Both of these papers are reprinted in the Vermont Geological Report of 1861.
Nothing further concerning the lignite appeared until in 1902 . . .