The striking morainic development in the valleys south of Seneca and Cayuga lakes, together with some of the morainic deposits between these valleys, were observed and mapped by Professor T. C. Chamberlin as a part of the “Moraine of the second glacial epoch.”† Since then no descriptions in a more detailed way have been made. For ten years the writer has been making observations on these moraines, and in 1903 undertook for the United States Geological Survey the systematic study an.1 mapping of the moraines and other Quaternary deposits of four topographic sheets, namely, Ithaca, Watkins, Elmira, and Waverly. The results of this study will appear in the forthcoming Watkins Glen Folio, to which reference is made for local details, omitted from this generalized outline.
The distribution of the moraines is to such a marked extent dependent on the topography that a description of the main . . .