The grahamite deposit of Ritchie county, West Virginia, was first de‐ scribed by Professor J. P. Lesley in a paper read before the American Philosophical Society March 20, 1863. The name (in honor of the Messrs Graham, who were largely interested in the mine) was given the mineral by Mr Henry Wurtz, the chemist, of New York city, who in 1865 published a “Report upon a mineral formation in West Virginia” for the Ritchie Mineral Resin and Oil Company of Baltimore, a corporation owning and operating the mine for the manufacture of illuminating gas and mineral oil.
In a paper dated October 14, 1873, and published in volume vi, second series, of the American Journal of Science, Professor William M. Fontaine gives a very full description of the mineral and its geological surroundings, and as this was only a few months before the mine was closed and . . .