Geological science early assumed, in America, the form of organized activity. Various societies of local scope were initiated in the early part of the present century; but the first which was destined for permanence was the Association of American Geologists, which first convened at Philadelphia, on the second of April, 1840. Meetings were held in 1840, 1841, and 1842, the proceedings of which were published, in 1843, in a volume entitled “Transactions of the Association of American Geologists and Naturalists.” The inclusion of “Naturalists” had been determined in 1843. The number of members was seventy-seven. Meetings were also held annually until 1847. The “Transactions” were published in the American Journal of Science for the corresponding years. In 1847 it was voted to resolve the organization into “The American Association for the Advancement of Science.” In such capacity it . . .