Seismic exploration in southeastern New Mexico was initiated early in 1928 by the Amerada Petroleum Corporation and the Gulf Oil Company. In the period 1928-1931, refraction profiling was exclusively used to detail Hobbs and to locate the Monument structure. The 1932-1935 period was dominated by correlation refractions. Detailed shooting outlined the Monument structure. During the period 1934-1950, reflection profiling was successfully used and is credited with locating the Knowles, Bagley, Hightower, Cross Roads, Denton, Bough, and Saunders oil fields.The presentation of data includes reproductions of seismic records and structure maps.