The geophysical history of the Delhi Field started in 1938 when a Gulf gravity crew entered the area. In early 1940 results of drilling to the east indicated the absence of Tuscaloosa beds and a possible pinchout. In 1944, a seismograph crew under contract to Sun Oil Company and C. H. Murphy entered the area. A small closure was found and drilled. Production was established in 1944 from Paluxy beds.