A Department of Geophysics was organized at the University of Utah in September, 1947 under the direction of Professors C. E. Jacob and H. V. W. Donohoo. The course of instruction is based on the philosophy that geophysicists or geologists working in industry require sound training in basic sciences and mathematics, as well as orientation courses in the applied fields. It was further considered that, in general, the physicists' treatment of such subjects as mechanics, electricity, and magnetism, and electronics is more useful to the geophysicist than is the engineering approach. With these ideas in mind, the following curriculum has been evolved. The course is a full one, making it necessary to put such valuable studies as physical chemistry, thermodynamics, geomorphology, and others on the elective list. A laboratory course in well logging methods is offered as an elective, as are several courses in pure geophysics-geodesy, seismology, geomagnetics, oceanography, etc.