Abstract

The localized occurrence of salt water in shallow wells on and near the Louisiana State University campus, in addition to shells collected during the drilling of these wells, attracted the attention of geologists to this area prior to 1926. A torsion balance survey in 1931 was followed by a dry hole drilled in 1933 southeast of the present field. Three separate reflection seismograph surveys during the period of 1934 to 1937, on each one of which a well was drilled without establishing production, were made on the University structure prior to discovery in 1938. The location based on the first reflection seismograph survey should have resulted in the discovery of both the shallow and deep production, and the discovery location was finally made because of the oil and gas shows encountered in this abandoned test. After discovery, an additional reflection survey was made to detail the structure as an aid in development.

First Page Preview

First page PDF preview
You do not currently have access to this article.