Abstract

Data on the diversity and relative abundance of igneous rock types associated with carbonatite have been compiled for 477 occurrences, which represent 90% of the 527 occurrences of carbonatite known to the authors. The carbonatites have been subdivided into magmatic carbonatites (84%) and carbohydrothermal carbonatites (16%) on the basis of their mineralogy and their intrusive or extrusive characteristics. The carbohydrothermal carbonatites are associated with a variety of silicate rock-types, but nepheline syenite and syenite are the characteristic ones. For the magmatic carbonatites, 24% of these localities have no associated igneous silicate rocks, whereas a diverse range of silicate rock-types are recognized to be associated with the other 76%. The silicate rocks associated with these carbonatites are listed, quantified and described. We distinguish seven main associations with silicate rocks. These are (in decreasing order of abundance): 1) nephelinite–ijolite, 2) phonolite – feldspathoidal syenite, 3) trachyte–syenite, 4) melilitite–melilitolite, 5) lamprophyre, 6) kimberlite, 7) basanite – alkali gabbro. A significant proportion of the nephelinite–ijolite, melilitite–melilitolite and carbonatite only associations also contain ultramafic rocks, which are interpreted as cumulates. Extrusive carbonatite is found at forty-six localities; these are characterized by the high proportion that contain mantle debris (xenoliths and xenocrysts) and the occurrence of melilite-bearing silicate rocks in more than one third of them. The presence of mantle debris in some carbonatite occurrences and the absence of associated silicate rocks from others are taken as evidence of derivation of these carbonatites directly from the mantle. Most other carbonatites are considered to have been generated by differentiation from magmas represented by the associated silicate rocks that are the result of partial melting in a metasomatized lithosphere. Carbonatites can be generated in a number of ways, but the close spatial and temporal association with a broad spectrum of the silicate melts implies a close relationship with them. However, certain associated silicate rocks are not strictly consanguineous with the carbonatite, but are interpreted as products of independent melting events at shallower levels in the lithosphere.

Abstract

Nous avons compilé les données disponibles sur la diversité et l’abondance relative des roches ignées associées aux 477 indices de carbonatites, qui représentent 90% des 527 exemples connus des auteurs. Nous avons subdivisé ces cas en carbonatites magmatiques (84%) et carbonatites carbohydrothermales (16%) selon leur minéralogie et leurs caractéristiques intrusives ou extrusives. Les carbonatites carbohydrothermales sont associées à une variété de roches silicatées, mais ce sont syénite néphélinique et syénite qui sont caractéristiques. Dans le cas des carbonatites magmatiques, 24% des cas n’ont aucune manifestation de roches silicatées associées, tandis qu’une grande diversité de roches silicatées sont signalées pour les autres (76%). Nous en dressons une liste et faisons une description des roches silicatées associées. Nous distinguons sept associations principales, présentées en ordre décroissant d’incidence: 1) néphélinite–ijolite, 2) phonolite – syénite feldspathoïdale, 3) trachyte–syénite, 4) mélilitite–mélilitolite, 5) lamprophyre, 6) kimberlite, 7) basanite – gabbro alcalin. Une proportion importante des associations avec néphélinite–ijolite ou mélilitite–mélilitolite et de carbonatite seule contient aussi des roches ultramafiques, qui seraient des cumulats. Les carbonatites extrusives sont présentes à quarante-six endroits qui contiennent aussi une quantité élevée de débris mantelliques (xénolites et xénocristaux) et, dans plus d’un tiers des cas, des roches silicatées à mélilite. La présence de débris mantelliques dans certains des exemples de carbonatites et l’absence de roches silicatées associées dans d’autres témoigneraient de la dérivation directe de ces carbonatites du manteau. La plupart des autres carbonatites seraient générées par différenciation de magmas représentant les roches silicatées associées et formés par fusion partielle de la lithosphère métasomatisée. On peut donc générer les carbonatites de plusieurs façons, mais l’association spatiale et temporelle étroite avec un large éventail de magmas silicatés impliquerait une relation étroite avec ceux-ci. Toutefois, certaines roches silicatées associées ne seraient pas strictement consanguines avec la carbonatite, mais plutôt des produits d’épisodes de fusion indépendants à plus faible profondeur dans la lithosphère.

(Traduit par la Rédaction)

You do not currently have access to this article.