Skip to Main Content


This field trip consists of two stops at locations where it is possible to see damage from the 1906 earthquake and to gauge the intensity of the ground shaking that caused the damage. The first stop is at a cemetery in Colma, where the damage to monuments and headstones was photographed and roughly quantified in the Report of the State Earthquake Investigation Commission, Lawson (1908), commonly referred to as the “Lawson Report.” The Lawson Report represents the formal study of the earthquake and consists of a compilation of the reports of many investigators who gathered information about faulting, ground failure, and damage due to the 1906 earthquake. The second stop is at a brick office building at the southern limit of San Francisco that was damaged by the earthquake but repaired in such a fashion that the damage is still clearly evident.

You do not currently have access to this chapter.

Figures & Tables




Citing Books via

Close Modal
This Feature Is Available To Subscribers Only

Sign In or Create an Account

Close Modal
Close Modal