THIS is an interesting property belonging to the Society of which little use has been made, or little notice taken for twenty years.
The suggestion of such collection was made in 1889 by H. S. Williams, and was brought to the attention of the Council by J. F. Kemp. In April, 1890, the Council appointed a Committee on Photographs, consisting of J. F. Kemp, W. M. Davis, and J. S. Diller. At the summer meeting in Indianapolis, August, 1890, the Secretary announced the appointment of the committee, and that it had already begun its work by issuing circulars of request.
The first report, in volume 2, pages 615-630, made by J. S. Diller, gave an interesting account of the origin, purpose and plan of the collection, with the conditions and prices for its use. Description was given of 293 photographs then in hand. An appropriation of $25 was given the committee. The Society was following the example of the British Association for the Advancement of Science, which organized a photograph collection in 1889.
At the Baltimore meeting, December, 1894, George P. Merrill was made custodian of the collection in place of J. S. Diller, resigned, and in 1901 N. H. Darton succeeded Merrill as chairman and Curator. A new committee, was appointed, consisting of N. H. Darton, J. S. Diller, G. K. Gilbert, and George P. Merrill, to eliminate undesirable material, and to publish a catalogue (volume 12, page 479). With characteristic activity and thoroughness Darton immediately overhauled the
Figures & Tables
The Geological Society of America, 1888-1930
Written in 1931 by Herman LeRoy Fairchild, and with an introduction by Joseph Stanley-Brown, this definitive history of the Geological Society of America covers the first forty-three years of the Society. It contains sections devoted to an overview of early geological research, the Society's background, key players in the Society's creation and history, and information on the Society's membership, publications, meetings, constitution, and more.