Skip to Main Content

Abstract

The Arctic scientific research station at Lake Peters, northeastern Alaska, epitomized scientific field studies in the north for nearly two decades after its founding in 1958. More than 80 scientists based at the station during the years of greatest activity conducted research in 20 scientific disciplines. Some of the more detailed projects involved: Pleistocene and bedrock geologic mapping, geomorphology, glaciology, meteorology, hydrology, physical and biological limnology, botany, archaeology, ichthyology, mycology and ecology.

Lake Peters, one of the Neruokpuk Lakes, is a large, deep glacial lake, located in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge in the northeastern Brooks Range. Lake Peters, adjoining Lake Schrader, and the surrounding country are ideally situated for research in various scientific disciplines probing the Arctic environment. Located in one of the more scenic parts of Alaska, the lakes and surrounding mountains also draw a number of visitors each year for recreational camping, hiking and mountain climbing.

The facility was officially named the G. William Holmes Research Station in dedication ceremonies held at the station June 21, 1970. Holmes, a U.S. Geological Survey geologist who died during the winter of 1970, helped establish the station in 1958 and conducted early geological research in the area.

You do not currently have access to this chapter.

Figures & Tables

Contents

GeoRef

References

Related

Citing Books via

Close Modal
This Feature Is Available To Subscribers Only

Sign In or Create an Account

Close Modal
Close Modal