The Taxco Mining District is located in the Neovolcanic Axis Metallogenetic Province in northern Guerrero State, at an elevation of 1,700 m (Fig. 1).
This district includes the San Antonio, Guerrero, Remedios, Guadalupe, and Golondrina Mines. In 1534, Conquistadors Juan de La Cabra, Juan Salcedo, Muriel and Hernán Cortés mined and processed silver from the SocavÃ³n del Rey (now known as Mina del Pedregal), which was worked sporadically until 1747. In 1802, José de la Borda and José Vicente de Anza discovered a large silver bonanza in Tehuilotepec; José de la Estaca found another in the Juliántra area; these mines were almost inactive from 1802 to 1880. A flotation plant was installed in 1920 by the American Smelting and Refining Company. Ores were processed by amalgamation. Industrial Minera México, S.A. (IMMSA), owner of all the properties in the district, which employs 1,298 workers at the IMMSA mines and Taxco District plant, was producing 3,300 t/d in 1984.
Figures & Tables
This volume was developed, produced, and privately printed in Mexico, in Spanish, by the late Ing. G.P. Salas in 1988, as a Mexican contribution to the Geology of North America, with the understanding that it would be translated into English for inclusion in the set. The translation is by Dr. Cecily Petzall of Caracas, Venezuela, with considerable figure translation and redrafting provided by GSA. Salas worked on the volume until his death, with much valuable help from Ing. Hugo Cortez Guzmán. The result is a valuable English-language synthesis of the information available to Salas in the early to mid-1980s about the geothermal, coal, and metal-mining sectors (and some non-metallic resources) of the economic geology of Mexico.