This is one of several important silver mines in Chihuahua.It is located south of central Chihuahua and forms part of the Parral Super district, which also includes the Santa BÃ¡rbara, Palmillas, Parral, and La Esmeralda Districts. The San Francisco del Oro District is approximately 100 km south of the city of Chihuahua, the state capital, and 20 km southwest of Hidalgo del Parral (Fig. 1). It is accessible by an excellent road system.
Numerous mineralized bodies have been located to date.The famous Mina de Agua, discovered in 1567, gathered a horde of prospectors, and mining at La Prieta started in 1629. The San Diego de Minas Nuevas bonanza in 1645 renewed prospecting activity that developed dozens of silver and gold mines in the area, many of which are still in production. By 1659, more than 115 mines were operating.
Figures & Tables
This volume was developed, produced, and privately printed in Mexico, in Spanish, by the late Ing. G.P. Salas in 1988, as a Mexican contribution to the Geology of North America, with the understanding that it would be translated into English for inclusion in the set. The translation is by Dr. Cecily Petzall of Caracas, Venezuela, with considerable figure translation and redrafting provided by GSA. Salas worked on the volume until his death, with much valuable help from Ing. Hugo Cortez Guzmán. The result is a valuable English-language synthesis of the information available to Salas in the early to mid-1980s about the geothermal, coal, and metal-mining sectors (and some non-metallic resources) of the economic geology of Mexico.