Lower Paleozoic Rocks of the Cape George Area
1974. "Lower Paleozoic Rocks of the Cape George Area", Geology of the Arisaig Area, Antigonish County, Nova Scotia, A. J. Boucot, J. F. Dewey, D. L. Dineley, R. Fletcher, W. K. Fyson, J. G. Griffin, C. F. Hickox, W. S. McKerrow, A. M. Ziegler
Download citation file:
This section includes a compilation and reinterpretation of previous reports on the geology of northern Cape George (Pl. 12) and a detailed account of the geology of School Brook and Cormorant Cliff Coves (Pls. 13, 14).
The tip of the Cape is bounded on the east by George Bay and on the north and northwest by Northumberland Strait. The southern limit of the mapped area is a line from Skidmore Brook on the eastern shore to Horseshoe Brook (Pl. 12) on the western shore. The area includes about 16 sq mi and the southern border is 18 mi north of the town of Antigonish on the Cape George (Harbour) Road. The Cape George Road follows the shoreline around the Cape from the Marsh Cove on the east to Livingstone Cove on the west. There is almost continuous outcrop along the shoreline. Wilkie Brook [It is named Wilkie Brook on a Canadian Geological Survey Map of 1893 (Nova Scotia Sheet No. 33). A more recent map of the Canadian National Topographic Series (1953, Sheet No. 11 F/13 West Half) calls it Cape George Brook.] in the southeast part of the area and Livingstone (the 1893 Geological Survey Map calls it Livingstone Brook; the same brook is named Gillis Brook on the 1953 National Topographic Map) and McNeil’s Brook (J. R. Griffin states that McNeil’s Brook is a tributary of Livingstone Brook) in the western part also provide numerous exposures. There are scattered outcrops along many of the brooks and on . . .