Skip to Main Content
Book Chapter

Day Two - Road Logs

Published:
January 01, 1990

Abstract

Gold in the Open Cut area was first discovered by two Frenchmen, Moses and Frederick Manuel, on April 9, 1876 (Irving, 1904). A quartz outcrop located somewhere near the center of the current Open Cut (see frontispiece) was the site of the original Homestake lode discovery in 1876 (see Frontispiece for this volume). By the following year the numerous claims filed in the area had been consolidated into four large companies. Irving further states: "Not long after the mines opened it was found advisable to work them under a single management, and as time went on the Homestake Company came either into control or into actual possession of the other properties...”

The gold ore was free-milling, and by the summer of 1878, 80 stamps were in operation in mills near large open cuts on the steep hillside. By 1880, a total of 740 stamps were crushing 2 to 3 tons of ore each per day. The old headframe of the B & M No. 2 underground mine, one of the early underground operations on the Homestake gold deposit, remains beneath the hill crest. Mining in the Open Cut was renewed as a supplemental surface operation in 1984, with 1989 gold production at 2678 kg (86,400 oz).

You do not currently have access to this article.

Figures & Tables

Contents

Society of Economic Geologists Guidebook Series

Metallogeny of Gold in the Black Hills, South Dakota

Colin J. Paterson
Colin J. Paterson
Search for other works by this author on:
Alvis L. Lisenbee
Alvis L. Lisenbee
Search for other works by this author on:
Tommy B. Thompson
Tommy B. Thompson
Search for other works by this author on:
Society of Economic Geologists
Volume
7
ISBN electronic:
9781934969601
Publication date:
January 01, 1990

GeoRef

References

Related

Citing Books via

Close Modal
This Feature Is Available To Subscribers Only

Sign In or Create an Account

Close Modal
Close Modal