0.0 Begin mileage at Delaware Hotel, Leadville (Fig. 1) on East 7th and Harrison Avenue. Harrison Avenue is named for Edwin Harrison, a pioneer smelter entrepreneur. On the northwest comer of 7th and Harrison Avenue is the Tabor Grand Hotel, constructed by H.A.W. Tabor in 1885. Republican President Benjamin Harrison made a speech from the 2nd floor balcony (new removed) to the residents of the Cloud city (also referred to as the Magic City) in 1891 when there was major concern for the price of silver.
The world-class leadville district was discovered in 1859 and is still producing ore from the Black Cloud mine, a relatively new operation begun in 1971 (see Smith, 1988: this volume, for history of the mine) and from the Diamond mine. District cumulative production through 1987 is approximately 26.2 million short tons (23.8 million metric tons) of ore from veins and dolomite-hosted massive sulfide replacement deposits. Placer gold and oxidized replacement orehodles provided much, of the early district production (Emmons et al., 1927), but the unoxidized orebcdies found further down-dip provide the unambiguous exposures for understanding the district ore deposits. Leadville is of historical significance, also, as the U.S. Geological Survey in one of its first actions assigned S.F. Emmons the responsibility of detailed investigations of the district, culminating in U.S. Geological Survey Monograph 12 (1886). Several additional publications updated his continuing studies in the district (Emmons and Irving, 1907: Emmons et al., 1927).