Geology of the Red Cliff District (Eagle County, Colorado), and the form, setting, and geochemistry of the constituent Ag-Zn-Pb deposits
David W. Beaty, 1988. "Geology of the Red Cliff District (Eagle County, Colorado), and the form, setting, and geochemistry of the constituent Ag-Zn-Pb deposits", Geology and Mineralization of the Gilman-Leadville Area, Colorado, T. B. Thompson, David W. Beaty
Download citation file:
The Red Cliff Mining District is located three kilometers south of the major group of manto deposits at Gilman, Colorado (Fig. 1). Ore was first discovered in this general area (at Gilman) in spring, 1879, and a rush to the Red Cliff area took place in summer, 1879. To give a flavor of the staking rush, Crawford and Gibson (1925) reported the discovery dates of three of the Red Cliff mines: the Henrietta (July 4, 1879), the Horn Silver (July 7, 1879), and the Wyoming Valley (July 26, 1879).
Means (1915) and Crawford and Gibson (1925) used the “Red Cliff district” (or synonymously “Battle Mountain District”) to refer to all of the mines in the vicinity of the towns of Gilman and Red Cliff. For the purpose of this report, however, the term “Red Cliff district” is restricted to the cluster of small mines along Turkey Creek near the town of Red Cliff (Fig. 1). The much larger and more valuable deposits near Gilman are referred to as the Gilman district. This terminology is consistent with the usage of Radabaugh et al. (1968), and Lovering et al. (1978).