A. G. Bulakh, 2015. "Ornamental stone in the history of St Petersburg architecture", Global Heritage Stone: Towards International Recognition of Building and Ornamental Stones, D. Pereira, B. R. Marker, S. Kramar, B. J. Cooper, B. E. Schouenborg
Download citation file:
St Petersburg was founded in 1703. Between 1703 and the 1830s, buildings of baroque and classicism styles were faced with stones from the NW part of the Russian Empire. In 1840s–1910s, many new types of ornamental stones from different European countries were added to the faces of buildings of so-called eclecticism and modernism styles. The map of deposits shows 32 main sources of stone. This report gives a chronological review of the use of natural stone in the architecture of St Petersburg, Russia, in 1703–2009. The map of deposits and a list of rock types are given.