Gas Fields in Northeast Texas Embayment
Before 1909 most of the gas sold for domestic and industrial use in Texas was produced in Navarro County. Production of gas began in the Corsicana district about 1900. The supplies of gas discovered and utilized in Navarro County were to a great extent depleted when gas was discovered in the Mexia-Groesbeck district, Limestone County, in 1912. About 900 acres in Navarro County and about 2,600 acres in Limestone County produced gas from sandstone zones in the Navarro and Taylor formations of Gulf Cretaceous age. Three large areas, producing gas from the Woodbine formation (basal Gulf Cretaceous), were discovered in Anderson and Leon counties in 1933–34. Together; they should produce gas in commercial quantities from about 36,000 acres.
All gas, within the scope of this paper, has been produced, from sandstones of Gulf Cretaceous age. At Edens, Corsicana, and Chatfield the gas was found in the up-dip terminations of lenticular sandstone bodies. Gas-bearing areas (Nacatoch) in the Groesbeck-Mexia-Powell belt were located chiefly on the upthrown sides of faulted structures; gas in the Woodbine formation occurred only on the upthrown sides of faulted structures. Recent discoveries of natural gas at Buffalo, Camp Hill, Cayuga, and Long Lake, produce gas from the Woodbine formation on the crests of large domes and anticlines, some of which are known to be faulted. Many theories and opinions notwithstanding, there is as yet no explanation for the predominance of gas on some structures in the embayment of northeast Texas.