The North Alma field is located in Secs. 3, 4, 5, 9, 10, 15, and 16, T. 1 S., R. 4 W., Stephens County, Oklahoma. It is near the center of one of Oklahoma’s most prolific oil-producing areas.
The field was discovered in 1946 by the Skelly Oil Company and Sun Oil Company No. 1 Williams, located in the SE¼SW¼NE¼ Sec. 16, T. 1 S., R. 4 W. This well was productive from the Sims sandstone of Pennsylvanian age.
Production June 1, 1953, was approximately 2,100 barrels per day from 106 producing wells. The total productive area is about 1,700 acres. The field had produced 3,720,000 barrels of oil to June 1, 1953.
The structure on the top of the Sims sandstone is a gently folded anticline elongated in a north-south direction with approximately 300 feet of closure. The structure of the Oölitic limestone, the Tussy limestone, and the Pickens sandstone is that of a northwest plunging anticline on which there is about 50 feet of closure.
The North Alma structure was formed during the time of the Wichita Mountains and Arbuckle Mountains orogenies. A part of the Springer section is missing over the structure owing to truncation. Faulting has been recognized in some of the wells of the pool.
Production is from formations of the Hoxbar, Deese, and Springer groups of the Pennsylvanian System.